so

adverb
🔊/səʊ/
🔊/səʊ/
Idioms
jump to other results
  1. to such a great degree(表示程度)这么,这样,那么,那样,如此
    • Don't look so angry.别那样怒气冲冲的。🔊🔊
    • There's no need to worry so.没必要这样着急。🔊🔊
    • Why has it taken so long?为什么花了这么长时间?
    • That wasn't so bad, was it?那还不错,不是吗?
    • so… (that)… She spoke so quietly (that) I could hardly hear her.她说话轻得我几乎听不见。
    • What is it that's so important it can't wait five minutes?有什么重要的问题,迫不及待要等待五分钟?
    • He was so impressed that he jumped up and down with excitement. 他印象深刻,激动得跳起跳来跳去。
    • She gets so caught up in her fame that she neglects her true friends. 她如此着名,以至于忽视了自己的真正朋友。
    • It was so incredibly cheap it was unbelievable. 它是如此的便宜以至令人难以置信。
    • so… as to do something I'm not so stupid as to believe that.我还不至于傻得连那样的话都相信。🔊🔊
    • (formal, especially British English) Would you be so kind as to lock the door when you leave?请您离开时把门锁上好吗?🔊🔊
    Homophones sew | so | sowsew   so   sow
    🔊/səʊ/
    🔊/səʊ/
    • sew verb
      • You should sew that hole up before it gets any bigger.您应该缝大一点之后再缝。
    • so adverb
      • It is unsurprising that the Beatles were so successful.甲壳虫乐队如此成功,这不足为奇。
    • sow verb
      • Why would farmers want to sow GM seeds?农民为什么要播种转基因种子?
  2. very; extremely很;极
    • I'm so glad to see you.见到你真高兴。🔊🔊
    • The girls looked so pretty in their summer dresses.姑娘们穿着夏天的连衣裙显得非常漂亮。
    • I was pleased that so many people turned up.我很高兴看到这么多人出现。
    • We have so much to do.我们有很多事要做。🔊🔊
    • It's so good to have you back.回来真好。
    • We've worked so hard to get to this point.为了达到这一点,我们已经非常努力。
    • They came so close to winning.他们是如此接近胜利。
    • You're going to Harvard! That's so great!你要去哈佛!太好了!
    • Their attitude is so very English.他们的态度是十足的英国人的态度。🔊🔊
    • The article was just so much (= nothing but) nonsense.那篇文章纯粹是胡说八道。🔊🔊
    • I am so pleased with this new book. 我对这本新书很满意。
    • (British English) He sat there ever so quietly.他静悄悄地坐在那儿。🔊🔊
    • (British English) I do love it so.我实在是太喜欢它了。🔊🔊
  3. not so… (as…) (used in comparisons用于比较) not to the same degree不如…(这么…);不像…(那样…)
    • I haven't enjoyed myself so much for a long time.我好长时间没有这么快活了。🔊🔊
    • I have never felt so humiliated in my entire life.我一生从未感到如此羞辱。
    • It wasn't so good as last time.这次不如上次好。🔊🔊
    • It's not so easy as you'd think.不像你想的那么容易。🔊🔊
    • He was not so quick a learner as his brother.他学东西不像他哥哥那么快。🔊🔊
    • It's not so much a hobby as a career (= more like a career than a hobby).这与其说是爱好,不如说是职业。🔊🔊
    • (disapproving) Off she went without so much as (= without even) a ‘goodbye’.她连声 “再见” 都没说就走了。🔊🔊
  4. used to show the size, amount or number of something(表示大小或数量)这么,那么
    • The fish was about so big (= said when using your hands to show the size).那条鱼差不多有这么长。🔊🔊
    • There are only so many (= only a limited number of) hours in a day.一天不过这么几个小时。🔊🔊
  5. used to refer back to something that has already been mentioned(指刚说过的事物)这样,如此
    • ‘Is he coming?’ ‘I hope so.’“他来吗?” “我希望他来。”🔊🔊
    • ‘Did they mind?’ ‘I don't think so.’“他们有没有介意?” “我想没有。”🔊🔊
    • If she notices, she never says so.就算她留意到,她也从来不说。🔊🔊
    • I might be away next week. If so, I won't be able to see you.下星期我可能外出。要是那样,我就见不到你了。🔊🔊
    • We are very busy—so much so that we won't be able to take time off this year.我们很忙,忙得今年都没时间休假了。🔊🔊
    • Programs are expensive, and even more so if you have to keep altering them.买软件很贵,要是老得更换,那就更贵了。🔊🔊
    • I hear that you're a writer—is that so (= is that true)?听说你是作家,是吗?🔊🔊
    • George is going to help me, or so he says (= that is what he says but I am not sure if I believe him).乔治会帮我,他是这么说的。🔊🔊
    • They asked me to call them and I did so (= I called).他们要我叫他们,于是我就叫了。🔊🔊
    • She leaked the story to the media and, in so doing, helped bring down the president.她把这个故事泄露给媒体,并以此帮助推翻了总统。
    • He thinks I dislike him but that just isn't so.他以为我讨厌他,其实不是那么回事。🔊🔊
  6. also
    • Times have changed and so have I.时代变了,我也变了。🔊🔊
    • ‘I prefer the first version.’ ‘So do we.’“我喜欢第一稿。” “我们也是。”🔊🔊
    • Temperatures are rising in Canada, and so too are the annual blueberry harvests.加拿大的气温在上升,蓝莓的年度收成也在上升。
    You cannot use so with negative verbs. Use neither or either: ‘I’m not hungry.’ ‘Neither am I/I’m not very hungry either.’
  7. used to agree that something is true, especially when you are surprised(尤指感到惊讶时表示同意)的确如此
    • ‘You were there, too.’ ‘So I was—I'd forgotten.’“当时你也在那儿。” “是啊,我给忘了。”🔊🔊
    • ‘There's another one.’ ‘So there is.’“还有一个。” “可不是吗。”🔊🔊
    Topics Opinion and argumentb2
  8. (informal) used, often with a negative, before adjectives and noun phrases to emphasize something that you are saying(常与否定词连用,置于形容词和名词短语前以加强语气)
    • He is so not the right person for you.他这个人绝对不适合你。🔊🔊
    • That is so not cool.那实在不怎么样。🔊🔊
  9. (informal) used, especially by children, to say that what somebody says is not the case and the opposite is true(儿童常用以反驳对方)偏偏,就
    • ‘You're not telling the truth, are you?’ ‘I am, so!’“你说的不是实话,对不对?” “就是实话,就是!”🔊🔊
  10. used when you are showing somebody how to do something or telling them how something happened(演示或描述事由)这样
    • Stand with your arms out, so.两臂伸开站着,像这样。🔊🔊
    • (literary) So it was that he finally returned home.就这样,他终于回到了家。🔊🔊
  11. Word Originadverb Old English swā, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch zo and German so.
Idioms
and so forth
(also and so on (and so forth))
  1. used at the end of a list to show that it continues in the same way…等等;诸如此类
    • We discussed everything—when to go, what to see and so on.我们什么都商量过了,什么时候走、看什么等等。🔊🔊
(all) the more so because…
  1. used to give an important extra reason why something is true(表示另外的重要原因)尤其因为
    • His achievement is remarkable; all the more so because he had no help at all.他的成就非同一般,而由于他没有得到过任何帮助,更显不凡。🔊🔊
… or so
  1. used after a number, an amount, etc. to show that it is not exact…左右;…上下
    • There were twenty or so (= about twenty) people there.那儿有差不多二十个人。🔊🔊
    • We stayed for an hour or so.我们待了一个小时左右。🔊🔊
so as to do something
 
  1. with the intention of doing something为了做某事;以便做某事
    • We went early so as to get good seats.为了占到好座位,我们早早就去了。🔊🔊
so be it
  1. (formal) used to show that you accept something and will not try to change it or cannot change it(表示完全接受)就那样好了
    • If he doesn't want to be involved, then so be it.要是他不想参与,那就随他的便好了。🔊🔊
so much for something
  1. used to show that you have finished talking about something(表示就某事讲完了)关于…就讲这么多,…到此为止
    • So much for the situation in Germany. Now we turn our attention to France.德国的形势就讲到这里。现在我们来看看法国的情况。🔊🔊
  2. (informal) used to suggest that something has not been successful or useful(表示行不通或没用)作罢好了,快别提了
    • So much for that idea!快别提那个主意了!🔊🔊
    Topics Difficulty and failurec2
so… that
  1. (formal) in such a way that这样…为的是;如此…以至
    • The programme has been so organized that none of the talks overlap.日程做了精心安排,以使每一讲都没有重复内容。🔊🔊

so

conjunction
🔊/səʊ/
🔊/səʊ/
Idioms
jump to other results
  1. used to show the reason for something(表示因果关系)因此,所以
    • It was still painful, so I went to see a doctor.那地方还疼,因此我去看了医生。🔊🔊
  2. so (that)… used to show the purpose of something(表示目的)为了,以便
    • But I gave you a map so you wouldn't get lost!但我怕你迷路,给过你一张地图!🔊🔊
    • She worked hard so that everything would be ready in time.她努力工作,为的是及时做好各项准备。🔊🔊
  3. so (that)… used to show the result of something(引出结果)因此,所以
    • Nothing more was heard from him so that we began to wonder if he was dead.此后再没收到他的消息,于是我们开始怀疑他是不是死了。🔊🔊
  4. (informal) used to introduce a comment or a question(引出评论或问题)
    • So, let's see. What do we need to take?那么,大家想想,我们需要带什么?🔊🔊
    • So, what have you been doing today?那你今天都干什么了?🔊🔊
  5. used to introduce the next part of a story(引出下文)
    • So after shouting and screaming for an hour she walked out in tears.就这样,又嚷又叫了一个小时后,她流着泪走了出来。🔊🔊
  6. (informal) used to show that you think something is not important, especially after somebody has criticized you for it(认为某事无关紧要,尤用于反驳他人的指责时)
    • So I had a couple of drinks on the way home. What's wrong with that?我不过是在回家的路上喝了两杯。这怎么啦?🔊🔊
    • ‘You've been smoking again.’ ‘So?’“你近来又抽烟了。” “抽又怎么啦?”🔊🔊
  7. (informal) used when you are making a final statement(引出结束语)
    • So, that's it for today.好,今天就讲到这里。🔊🔊
  8. (informal) used in questions to refer to something that has just been said(在问句中代指刚谈论的事)
    • So there's nothing we can do about it?这么说,我们一点办法都没有了?🔊🔊
    • ‘I've just got back from a trip to Rome.’ ‘So, how was it?’“我去了一趟罗马,刚回来。” “是吗?怎么样?”🔊🔊
  9. (informal) used to introduce an answer to a question, an explanation or a statement(引出评论或问题)
    • So, I've been working on a new project.因此,我一直在从事一个新项目。
  10. used when stating that two events, situations, etc. are similar(指出两种情况等相类似)
    • Just as large companies are having to cut back, so small businesses are being forced to close.大公司不得不紧缩,小企业则被迫关闭。🔊🔊
  11. Word Originconjugation Old English swā, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch zo and German so.
Idioms
so what?
  1. (informal) used to show that you think something is not important, especially after somebody has criticized you for it(认为某事无关紧要,尤用于反驳他人的指责时)
    • ‘He's fifteen years younger than you!’ ‘So what?’“他比你小十五岁呢!” “那又怎么啦?”🔊🔊
    • So what if nobody else agrees with me?就算没有一个人赞成我的意见,那又怎么样?🔊🔊

so

noun
🔊/səʊ/
🔊/səʊ/
(also soh)
(also sol)
(music音乐)
jump to other results
  1. the fifth note of a major scale大调音阶的第 5 音