too

adverb
🔊/tuː/
🔊/tuː/
Idioms
jump to other results
  1. used before adjectives and adverbs to say that something is more than is good, necessary, possible, etc.(用于形容词和副词前)太,过于,过度
    • He's far too young to go on his own.他年纪太小,不能独自一人去。🔊🔊
    • She was much too big to be carried.她太大了,无法扛起。
    • This is too large a helping for me/This helping is too large for me.这一份太多,我吃不了。
    • Is it too much to ask for a little quiet?请略微安静一点儿,这个要求过分吗?🔊🔊
    • The dress was too tight for me.这件连衣裙我穿太瘦了。🔊🔊
    • It's too late to do anything about it now.现在进行任何补救都为时太晚。🔊🔊
    • Accidents like this happen all too (= much too) often.这类事故发生得太频繁了。🔊🔊
    • It’s too soon to say if he’ll survive.现在说他能否活下来还为时过早。
    • It’s only too easy for them to deny responsibility.他们否认责任太容易了。
    • The room was a bit too cramped for the three of us. 对于我们三个人来说,房间太狭窄了。
    • For most people treatment is just too expensive.对于大多数人来说,治疗太昂贵了。
    • You can never have too many friends.朋友总是多多益善。
    • Some patients had to wait too long for an appointment.一些患者不得不等待太久才能预约。
  2. (usually placed at the end of a clause通常置于句末) also; as well也;又;还
    • Can I come too?我也可以来吗?🔊🔊
    • When I've finished painting the bathroom, I'm going to do the kitchen too.我油漆完浴室后,还要油漆厨房。🔊🔊
    Which Word? also / as well / tooalso / as well / too
    • Also is more formal than as well and too, and it usually comes before the main verb or after be:also 比 as well 和 too 正式,通常置于主要动词之前或 be 之后
      • I went to New York last year, and I also spent some time in Washington.我去年去了纽约,还在华盛顿待了些时间。
      In British English it is not usually used at the end of a sentence. Too is much more common in spoken and informal English. It is usually used at the end of a sentence:
      • ‘I’m going home now.’ ‘I’ll come too.’.“现在我要回家了。” “我也一起走。”
      In British English as well is used like too, but in North American English it sounds formal or old-fashioned.
    • When you want to add a second negative point in a negative sentence, use not…either:在否定句中要增加一个否定成分可用 not ... either
      • She hasn’t phoned and she hasn’t written either.她没来过电话,也没有写信。
      If you are adding a negative point to a positive one, you can use not… as well/​too:在肯定句中要增加一个否定成分可用 not ... as well/too
      • You can have a burger, but you can’t have fries as well.你可以吃汉堡包,但不可以同时又吃炸薯条。
    see also me-too
  3. very很;非常
    • I'm not too sure if this is right.这是否正确,我没有太大把握。🔊🔊
    • I'm just going out—I won't be too long.我正要出去,用不了多长时间。🔊🔊
    • Mary will be only too glad to help. 玛丽会很乐意帮助。
    • She's none too (= not very) clever.她不很聪明。🔊🔊
    • potential customers who will not be too pleased about your lack of attention.潜在客户对您的注意力不足不会感到满意。
    • It's unlikely anyone's going to be too concerned about a little thing like that.不太可能有人会担心这样的小事情。
    • Our roads aren't too bad. 我们的路还不错。
  4. used to comment on something that makes a situation worse(评说某事物使情况更糟)而且,还
    • She broke her leg last week—and on her birthday too!她上星期把腿摔断了,而且还是在她生日那一天!🔊🔊
  5. used to emphasize something, especially your anger, surprise or agreement with something(用以强调生气、惊奇或同意等)
    • ‘He did apologize eventually.’ ‘I should think so too!’“他终于道歉了。” “我想他应该如此!”🔊🔊
    • ‘She gave me the money.’ ‘About time too!’“她把那钱给我了。” “早该这样!”🔊🔊
  6. Word OriginOld English, stressed form of to, spelled too from the 16th cent.
Idioms
be too much (for somebody)
  1. to need more skill or strength than you have; to be more difficult, annoying, etc. than you can bear非…力所能及;非…所能忍受
too right
  1. (British English, informal) used to say that there is no doubt about something毫无疑问;一点不错;对极啦
    • ‘We need to stick together.’ ‘Too right!’“我们得团结一致。” “对极啦!”🔊🔊
    • ‘I'll have to do it again.’ ‘Too right you will.’“我得再做一次。” “你说得一点不错。”🔊🔊